Home BusinessSouth Korea cuts short US joint drills as Hanwha wins cannon contract

South Korea cuts short US joint drills as Hanwha wins cannon contract

by Sato Asahi
0 comments
South Korea cuts short US joint drills as Hanwha wins cannon contract

U.S.-South Korea Ulchi Freedom Shield Exercises Cut Short After Trump Order

U.S.-South Korea Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises will end Friday after a surprise order from President Trump; the move comes amid North Korea missile activity and a separate Hanwha artillery contract win.

South Korea’s Joint Chiefs of Staff announced on Wednesday that the annual Ulchi Freedom Shield joint exercises with the United States will be cut short and will conclude on Friday, several days earlier than initially scheduled. The decision follows a public directive from U.S. President Donald Trump calling for a reduction in the drills, which he described as costly and “inappropriate and hostile.” (apnews.com)

Joint Chiefs: Ulchi Freedom Shield to End Friday

South Korean military officials said the consolidation of planned field training and digital command-post activities will result in a truncated schedule for this year’s Ulchi Freedom Shield. The Joint Chiefs framed the adjustment as coordinated with U.S. counterparts and focused on maintaining essential readiness tasks while scaling back larger field maneuvers. (apnews.com)

Allied statements emphasized that some battalion-level and above exercises will proceed in modified form, but several live-fire and large-scale ground components were reduced or cancelled. Officials declined to disclose detailed troop counts for the shortened timeline, citing operational security, but noted the exercises would still test command-and-control, cyber and counter-drone scenarios. (asiaone.com)

Trump’s Order and White House Rationale

The presidential post that preceded the military move criticized the expense and tone of joint exercises and framed the reduction as diplomatic leverage toward North Korea. In his remarks, the president urged the Pentagon to scale back operations that, he said, could be perceived as antagonistic by Pyongyang. (apnews.com)

U.S. officials described the instruction as unilateral and issued at short notice, creating immediate scheduling and diplomatic complications. Pentagon and U.S. Forces Korea spokespeople said they were implementing the president’s direction in coordination with Seoul, while stressing continuing commitment to deterrence and alliance interoperability. (apnews.com)

Seoul’s Response and Political Fallout

In Seoul, President Yoon’s administration sought to reassure the public that the U.S.-South Korea alliance remained intact even as some opposition figures warned the decision risked weakening deterrence. The Blue House reiterated that consultations with Washington would continue and pledged to sustain combined readiness through alternative training and operational planning. (apnews.com)

Opposition parties and defense analysts expressed bewilderment at the late timing and the potential implications for the peninsula’s security posture. Critics said abrupt changes to exercises could complicate logistics and readiness, while supporters argued a narrower, more targeted training focus could preserve capability without escalating tensions. (apnews.com)

North Korea’s Recent Activity and Regional Concerns

The decision to shorten drills comes against a backdrop of North Korean weapons activity, including a short-range ballistic missile test detected earlier in August. Seoul’s military reported heightened surveillance and coordination with allies after the launch, underscoring why joint readiness exercises have been seen as central to deterrence. (local10.com)

Analysts caution that scaling down visible combined maneuvers may reduce near-term tensions but could also erode the routine practiced by allied forces for integrated responses to provocations. Military planners say a balance must be struck between de-escalation and the uninterrupted rehearsal of wartime functions. (apnews.com)

Hanwha Wins U.S. Artillery R&D Contract Amid Tensions

Separately, South Korea’s Hanwha Defense USA has secured a notable U.S. Army research-and-development contract to integrate a longer‑range 58‑caliber cannon into the K9 howitzer family, a move described by the company and analysts as a breakthrough for Korean defense exporters in the U.S. market. The award positions Hanwha as a serious contender in ongoing U.S. efforts to modernize its self‑propelled artillery fleet. (thedefensepost.com)

Hanwha has also announced plans for a U.S.-based integration and testing facility and has pledged investment in domestic supply chains if selected for broader production. Company statements present the R&D contract as evidence of deepening industrial ties with Washington even as political uncertainty shifts exercise schedules. (calibredefence.co.uk)

Readiness, Diplomacy and Next Steps

Military officials in Seoul and Washington said they would preserve core interoperability through distributed training, scheduled bilateral exchanges and a continued rotational presence of U.S. units on the peninsula. Commanders stressed that strategic deterrence—bolstered by intelligence sharing and combined logistics—will remain the alliance’s immediate priority. (usfk.mil)

Diplomats in the region signalled an expectation of intense bilateral consultations in the coming days to clarify the scope and duration of the changes, and to align messaging to partners, including Japan. Observers say the episode will test the alliance’s ability to separate political directives from operational commitments while managing North Korea’s unpredictable posture. (apnews.com)

The shortened Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises reflect an abrupt shift in U.S. policy implementation that has immediate operational consequences and broader strategic reverberations across the region. Allies will now weigh how to maintain deterrence and collective readiness while exploring whether scaled training can reduce tensions without compromising defense capability.

You may also like

Leave a Comment

The Tokyo Tribune
Japan's english newspaper