Home PoliticsShanghai knife attack injures three at Pudong Japanese restaurant as suspect detained

Shanghai knife attack injures three at Pudong Japanese restaurant as suspect detained

by Sui Yuito
0 comments
Shanghai knife attack injures three at Pudong Japanese restaurant as suspect detained

Shanghai knife attack in Pudong injures three at restaurant, suspect detained

Shanghai knife attack in Pudong on May 19, 2026 injured three people at a restaurant; a 59-year-old suspect was detained and the Japanese Consulate is seeking details.

A suspected knife attack in Shanghai’s Pudong district on May 19, 2026 left three people injured and prompted an immediate police response. According to a statement posted on the Shanghai police social media account, the incident occurred at about 1:30 p.m. JST in a dining establishment inside an office building. Authorities say the victims were taken to hospital and a 59-year-old man was detained at the scene.

Incident reported inside office-building restaurant

Shanghai police said the call reporting an assault came from a restaurant located in an office tower in Pudong shortly after 1:30 p.m. on May 19, 2026. Responding officers arrived on site and secured the area while emergency medical teams transported the injured to nearby hospitals.

Witnesses at the scene described chaotic scenes as bystanders assisted the injured and officers moved in to detain a suspect. Police made initial statements via their social media channel and said a formal investigation was underway.

Number and condition of injured remain under investigation

Authorities confirmed three people suffered injuries and were taken to hospital for treatment, but they did not immediately release details about the severity of their wounds. Hospitals have so far not issued public statements on the patients’ conditions, and police said they would provide updates as medical information becomes available.

Local media and eyewitnesses reported that the injured included patrons and possibly staff inside the restaurant, though officials emphasized that identification and medical status must await official confirmation.

59-year-old suspect detained at the scene

Police detained a 59-year-old male suspect at the location and took him into custody without reporting further immediate arrests. Officers noted that the man was speaking incoherently when detained, according to the social media update from Shanghai police.

Investigators at the scene collected preliminary evidence and began interviews with witnesses while the suspect was being processed. Authorities did not disclose a motive and said determining the sequence of events would be part of the ongoing inquiry.

Attack took place at a Japanese-style restaurant in Pudong

The dining venue has been identified by local sources as a Japanese restaurant situated within an office building in Pudong. Restaurant representatives contacted by reporters indicated that there may have been Japanese nationals among those affected, though they said they were awaiting official confirmation.

The selection of a restaurant in a commercial office tower has raised questions about security protocols for eateries located inside business complexes. Property managers and building security personnel have been cooperating with police at the request of investigators.

Japanese Consulate in Shanghai seeks confirmation on nationals

Officials at the Consulate-General of Japan in Shanghai said they were urgently trying to confirm whether Japanese citizens were among the injured. The consulate told reporters it was in contact with local authorities and would assist nationals as necessary once identities are verified.

Consular staff typically offer support including emergency travel documents and liaison with medical facilities; the consulate’s outreach underscores diplomatic concern when foreign nationals may be involved in incidents abroad.

Police outline next steps in probe

Shanghai police said they have opened a criminal investigation and are working to establish the motive, the exact timeline, and whether the incident involved multiple attackers or other suspects. Forensic teams and detectives were reported to be examining the scene and gathering CCTV and witness statements to reconstruct events.

Officials appealed to anyone with information or footage of the incident to come forward to assist the investigation. Law enforcement also indicated they would release further updates through official channels as inquiries progress.

The situation remains developing as investigators and consular authorities work to verify identities and medical conditions of the injured, and as police continue their on-site inquiries and evidence collection.

You may also like

Leave a Comment

The Tokyo Tribune
Japan's english newspaper